It is very important that the house you live in is in your image and likeness to express your personality and style. But there are other jobs and interventions that can be done, if you have the idea of selling, in the short and long term. On the contrary, buying a property at a bargain price and reselling it at a higher price, after making some modifications and thus contributing to its better valuation, can be considered one of the wisest investments that can be made in the sector. But then, what are the small restorations to budget for, from this point of view?
1. Rethink interior and exterior spaces
In many cases, it is not possible to simply add compartments, lofts or new floors, but you have to open your mind and let your imagination work: very large rooms, for example, can be divided to get an extra room or even a small extra bathroom, for bedrooms or guests; it is not even necessary to make a big expense if the pipes can be shared with those of the main bathroom, without going too far from your home, maintaining a common wall. The same goes for the outdoor environments: balconies, terraces, gardens can be completely redeveloped, thanks to the green bonus introduced with the finance law that promises, in case of radical interventions and not ordinary maintenance. An excellent incentive to devote oneself to a little extreme gardening, inserting trees, wall plants, hedges.
2. Take care of the most inhabited spaces
Without a doubt, the rooms where you spend the most time are also the most damaged: stains on the walls, chipped tiles, sharp edges, broken glass are just some of the small problems you may encounter after a few years. Investing, therefore, in the refurbishment of these incidents can be an excellent idea, in case of sale: a new paint, the use of elegant edge protectors, the restoration of any furniture present or the replacement of light fixtures are all tips that can make a difference. In particular, the issue of windows and doors is very tempting for potential buyers, because the current fashion, in terms of style, wants large sliding windows, able to connect the inhabitants of the house with the outside and, at the same time, introduce great light into the house: something that, until some time ago, was not considered, so the windows and openings have been designed very differently. On the other hand, effectively managing the choice of windows and doors is also important for the future atmosphere of the house, which can be warmer and colder over the seasons, also promoting savings in terms of consumption through the use of various equipment such as fans, air conditioners, radiators, stoves, which can become less frequently needed.
3. Renewable energies
Even the installation of solar panels, thermal layers, heating fireplaces and other technologies based on renewable resources can be extremely important and competitive in the market: despite the great incentives and the massive information campaign that has taken place in recent years, in fact, there are still very few houses that offer such an energy structure. In short, taking care of your property means not only maintaining it in the best possible conditions, but also revolutionizing it according to different needs and, in some cases, new regulations, creating a house that is worth more, ready to enter the market with all the new parameters.
4. Updating the fixtures
The renovation of your home should also take into account the modification of your lighting to give a higher value to the real estate. Indeed, by hanging for example a beautiful light fixture, such as a chandelier or hanging bulbs in one or two places in the room, you give a better view to the whole. Considered as eye-catching elements, they will offer your home a great advantage over the competition in the neighborhood. Similarly, pay special attention to your lobby or the entrance to your home, as they will create the first impression when buyers visit. All of these small details can greatly increase the perceived value of your home.
5. Ensure regular maintenance of the property
Practically speaking, the daily maintenance of your property will not increase its value. However, if you neglect it, your property may lose its value when you resell it. You will then encounter difficulties in finding a buyer with a good price. To do this, take care to sweep all the rooms and maintain your various facilities. Don’t forget to regularly clean your air conditioner as well as the seals of your windows.
6. Give more care to the internal aesthetic side
To increase the value of your home when you resell it, you need to make sure that it looks good to attract buyers. You should especially know that the first impressions the property sends to visitors will determine its final value. So, don’t miss out on some aesthetic upgrades to give your home a mini rejuvenation. As a first step, pay close attention to the attractiveness of the house by taking care of the overall appearance. To achieve this, here are a few tips that should help you:
- Repaint or replace your front door depending on its condition;
- Power wash your siding to remove all dirt;
- Paint your walls, woodwork and shutters as needed to enhance their shine;
- Cut back the hedges in the garden, keep the lawn mowed, clean your gutters and plant new flowers in the yard.
To increase the value of your property, you will benefit from giving it a voluminous appearance during the first visit of the buyers. Here, we recommend that you clean and de-clutter the entire home. This will help make the home look larger, especially since buyers are looking for a spacious setting. On the day of the visit, don’t forget to do a final deep cleaning, especially of the floors and walls. The volume of the house can also be increased with a good entry of light. To this end, check the internal lighting and let the light through, as dark or poorly lit houses tend to stay on the market longer. Preferably, it is best to schedule visits in the middle of the day to take advantage of the sun. On the other hand, you can give your home a facelift with a simple fresh paint job. Make sure to choose warm and neutral colors such as white, beige, gray. Finally, you can add a more accent color to the walls to create a special decoration.
Take care of the landscaping of the house
When you want to resell your house for a profit, you must first increase its value on the market. To do this, you need to present it in its best light. In addition to renovations and interior maintenance, you must also think about the exterior environment. For this purpose, we recommend adding bushes or flowerbeds around the house. For example, you can place small plants near the front door to make the house more welcoming and spacious. Also, consider pruning or replacing unkempt plants, then multiplying brightly colored flowers like hibiscus, azaleas, hydrangeas, zinnias, etc. Here are some other practical tips for caring for the landscape around the property:
- Clean up the driveway that leads to the front door: to get a regal driveway in your home, plant flowers along the main driveway and install small lights built into the concrete ;
- Install a new mailbox in front of your house: to give a good first impression of your home, remove your old dented, rusted or half-demolished mailbox and install a new one yourself;
- Maintain your lawn: to keep your lawn healthy and free of weeds, you must maintain it regularly and mow it as soon as necessary. Don’t forget to water it at least once or twice a week;
- Maintain green spaces around the house: to give visitors the impression of a house with easy maintenance, mow your lawn regularly and pull weeds from flowerbeds.
Final preparations before putting the property up for sale
Once all the repairs and maintenance have been completed, you must now think about the last phase: putting the property up for sale. But remember that you should not make this decision if you do not feel ready. In particular, it is important to make sure that you are finished with all repairs. The first visitors should not see you still repairing a roof or repainting a wall. Also, don’t put the property up for sale until you are sure it will fetch a high value on the market. As soon as you feel ready, here are the final details to take care of:
- Give your house one last thorough cleaning to give it its full shine: dust all surfaces, clean the floors and remove all stains, properly wipe down appliances as well as kitchen countertops, clean the toilets, bathrooms and more ;
- Give the outside of the house a final cleaning: don’t forget to wash your windows inside and outside and remove all the dirt on the sides of the house with a high pressure cleaner;
- Remove all traces of pets: to avoid making your home look neglected, take care to put away pets, their toys, cat litter boxes and hair lying around. Also, be sure to put all pet accessories out of sight of buyers;
- Avoid major work before selling your property: for renovation or various maintenance, you should not commit to major work, as it will not make much difference to the value. Instead, focus on small renovations;
- Remove all your personal belongings: to make the visitor feel at home, remove all your personal belongings such as family photos, bric-a-brac, personal belongings, etc. You should also hide toys, books, computers or souvenirs.
Some other tips to increase the value of the property
Before we finish, we would like to give you a few more tips to increase the value of your home and your chances of finding a buyer quickly. Here are some tips that will certainly be useful to you:
- Think about renovation with subsidies: when renovating, also opt for projects related to energy efficiency such as insulating the attic, installing an economical heating system in order to benefit from subsidies. This will allow you to save money every year and increase the resale value;
- Choose the professionals for the various works: to ensure the success of your renovations and your various repairs, you must contact qualified professionals. Take into account their certifications, their references and their abilities to perform these types of work;
- Opt for advertisements and publicity: to increase the value of your property, you can exploit advertising. Here, we recommend you to write ads to be posted in the neighborhood in order to attract the attention of potential buyers. This will also allow you to highlight the assets of your property;
- Establish a good budget: to make sure that you will be able to carry out all the work and with sufficient means, you must define your budget carefully taking into account all the expenses.
You now know how to increase the value of your property. So if you want to part with your old house, start putting our various tips into practice now. You will not fail to find a buyer who will quickly accept to put the right price.